The Babadook, a horror movie that puts Annabelle to shame

Posted by David Khoirul
Today I watched “The Babadook,” a horror movie I downloaded with no subtitle from Mp4Movies wapsite last week. I planned to watch it with Sury on Sunday actually, but because she couldn't enjoy movies without reading the Indonesian subtitles, we delayed it, until tonight, when I saw it alone, exactly at 12 a.m.

“The Babadook,” a 2014 Australian film, is not an average horror movie. It tells a story that moves and touches you emotionally and psychologically, showing a smart plot, acting and metaphors. As a horror movie, it depicts ghosts in an unusual way, in abstraction, more like a manifestation of Amelia (Essie Davis), a single mother whose husband died in a car accident when she delivered a baby boy named Samuel. The ghoulish demon is shown obviously in the movie, but in fact, it represents Amelia’s fear, problems and anxieties of raising her son.

the babadok scary fear film ghosts


In iMDB, the movie ranks 7.1, one level higher than Annabelle. I can say this is one of the best horror movies I ever watched so far. Several weeks ago, in the night of Eid-ul Adha, I saw Anabelle in a cinema in North Jakarta and yes that movie depressed me, maybe because of the large screen and thundering sound the theater generated. But trust me, “The Babadook” is much better, scarier and more enjoyable than Annabelle, which displays cliché in the genre.

In addition to that, Davis performs very well in “The Babadook." She shows expressions of fear and sadness simply with a look. Noah Wiseman, playing as Samuel, Amelias’s son, also provides us with such a good and natural acting you think he is real.

the babadook horror movie and film


What I like the most from this movie is that it has only a few characters, with Amelia and Samuel as the center of the story. Whenever I watch a movie with too many actors, I can never enjoy it because I have to remember the names and try hard to recognize their faces which often look similar for me.

Directed by Jennifer Kent, "The Babadok" was first screened in Singapore, at the Stanley Film Festival. The movie was officially released on September 25. “The Babadook” holds a rating of 90 on Metacritic, 26% from Rotten Tomatoes, and 4.5 stars out of 5 by The Strait Times newspaper.

Watch the trailer:

2 comments: