The power of social network

Posted by David Khoirul
I never imagine my pasemon photo on Facebook is shared by thousands of people. I posted this photo to express my anger against those extremist groups, which flourish in my village Blimbing. The pasemon photo is uploaded under Pasemon album, consisting mostly of Javanese sarcasm or satire.

Okay, if you’re curious, here is the photo that I’m talking about:


It shows three quick illustration panels of a motorcyclist. I said in the photo that kafir (disbelievers) make vehicles and we use it. Then as we enjoy the comfort of cars or motorcycles, we get accident. This is their strategy to reduce Muslim population. Come on, guys. Will you believe this shit? Every day in Jakarta I go anywhere by car. This short comic is actually just a critic for those people who connect anything to Illuminati, US conspiracy, kafir strategy and plan. And sometimes they just make it up by matching numbers, letters, etc., something Indonesians like to call cocokologi.

Pasemon is different from satire. In Pasemon, you don’t need clues to indicate that you try to criticize a person. You just say it literally using reverse logics. For example, if you had a kid who got cough due to eating too much ice cream, you would say, “Go buy more ice tomorrow, okay, kid. I’d like to see you eat more ice cream.” Pasemon only exists in Javanese, and people who are attacked can easily catch the message.

But it turned many people don’t understand my purpose in creating the comic. Some thought I am a part of those radical groups. In many posts and comments, they say that the comic maker is a stupid person. “Go to hell,” says someone in the Facebook inbox. To this kind of people, I just don’t take it personally because I understand that what actually they cursed is the thought and doctrines, which I myself am against it.

Even when I explained it in another post, some people just can’t accept. They said my decision to put sarcasm in social media can be a sword for myself because not everybody understands this kind of language.



Twitter users, however, are smarter.



Although I had never expected my post to be viral, I understood how people would react. And frankly I never respond any bad words they write in both comments and inbox. For me, it’s just public wrath to the radicalism and I can hear their buried voice through this controversial post.

“The power of social media,” my friend says, “can bring someone to either difficult or good situation.” Posting something in the internet is like drawing on wet cement. As it dries, it lasts forever.

Now I leave you with another pasemon:


0 comments:

Post a Comment