Dengok

Posted by David Khoirul
After I finished my elementary school at MIM 11 TPAY, I continued my study at MTs M 11, a junior high school in the village of Dengok, Kandang Semangkon. Dengok is just 200 meters from my house in Blimbing. I used to walk with Harry, my best friend, under the burning sun to reach the school because our class started at 1 p.m. and finished at 5 p.m. Tiring but always interesting.

The majority of Dengok people are members of Nahdatul Ulama, the biggest Islamic organization in Indonesia. The others, however, are Muhammadiyah members. From 1987 to 1994, those two groups had ceaseless conflicts, especially due to their different Islamic point of views; people from both groups debated, fought and mocked each other when they met. The conflicts stopped in 1995, when Muslims start to be aware of the importance of tolerance and. They understand, instead of keeping hatred against each other, it is better for them to unite the difference. Now they live side by side in harmony.

Dengok people work as fishermen -- just like those in Sedayulawas -- and very few are farmers. Dengok belongs to the subdistrict of Paciran. It's located about 3KM from the Marine Tourist Attraction Wisata Bahari Lamongan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment